Rave Mags

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Rave Mags

Post by ian saunders » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Prompted by Jonny's post did anyone get any of the rave mags? opinions? Eternity? Dream? Ravescene, Blaze etc (Clubscene, The Scene)??

Cos i started going out in the mid 90's i remember buying To The Core, where the magazine name was vertical down one side - looked wicked but think they went back to normal stylee after a word from the distributor about it looking too odd.

Remember as well reading about Mixmag's review of The Prodigy's "Everybody In The Place" which basically said that the only way it would be underground (and therefore credible) was if you bought it and buried it in your back garden - cunts

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Rave Mags

Post by ian saunders » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Anyone get the Bpoys OWn fanzine in the late 80's?? Or any of the articles in Face or i-d?

I missed out completely on the likes of Eternity, was more around Dream and To The Core & Knowledge.

Though some of the indie mags ran some good reviews on jungle tunes (Select mainly).

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 am

Elusive9T2 wrote:I used to pick up ravescene at the raves, got about 30 odd still
I picked up a number if Ravescenes at the time and have bought quite a few on ebay in the last couple of years. Think I have about 40 odd now..

If anyone has issues 2,3,4,5,6,18,26,50 I'd give a good price for them. :wink:

samson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by samson » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:47 am

I used to pick up ravescene at the raves, got about 30 odd still
I used to love the record reviews by warlock
I've got the Ravescene year book 1993 in front of me now! also got a load of the free ravescene mags somewhere and blaze adn eternity mags i'll have to dig them out and see what i've got!?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

enfield_paul
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Location: Down the front, on the left by the speakers at the Ark

Post by enfield_paul » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:50 am

theres a compilation of the boys own around, I;ve got a copy - massive thing it is

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:51 pm

i am lucky enough to own all the BLAZE magazines 1 to 17 ending in 1993...great read,quite often just browse thru them...also picked up eternity and generator,but used to find only a couple shops sold them.............

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:
wigs wrote:
Elusive9T2 wrote:I used to pick up ravescene at the raves, got about 30 odd still
I picked up a number if Ravescenes at the time and have bought quite a few on ebay in the last couple of years. Think I have about 40 odd now..

If anyone has issues 2,3,4,5,6,18,26,50 I'd give a good price for them. :wink:
I've got a few doubles, i'll see what i have spare
I've like to fill my gaps too
Let me know what ones you need, I'm sure i've got a few doubles as well.

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:21 pm

I've got all of the Interdance magazines as well, exluding one (I think i'm missing Jan 92)

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Read Eternity from the first issue until it went all glossy, it went downhill after it abandoned its cheap and cheerful ethics.

Other than that, reading generally took up valuable time that could have been spent getting into mischief ;)

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I had loads. Eternity was the best of the bunch until around mid 96 when it started going down the spiritual route and had weird layouts and so on. Dream was pretty shit IMO - it had its favourite artists and seemed to be trying too hard to be a serious magazine in comparison with To The Core which covered a broader range of the hardcore scene and seemed more like Eternity in its early days.

Others I had were Cloud Nine, which was the forerunner of Dream, and The Scene which was run by Terry Turbo. That was pretty good for a laugh.

I also had the first 10-15 issues of Knowledge magazine, which I believe is still running. Was funny to think of how it started - an 8 page black and white fanzine about happy hardcore and jungle in the South West - and seeing it on the shelves of WH Smith as a full glossy trendy dnb/hiphop magazine. Gutted I lost those early issues, they were excellent.

I miss those little fanzines - there were some cracking trance / techno ones in the late 90s/early 00s which could be picked up for free. Doesn't quite seem the same reading stuff on the net.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 pm

What about M8 & Wax?

I remmeber reading M8 until they dumped covering hardcore and tried to be Mixmag

chriselee
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by chriselee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:40 am

I have a few Ravescene and don fm magazines from back in the day.Still look at them
every now and then.

chriselee
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by chriselee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:41 am

I have a few Ravescene and don fm magazines from back in the day.Still look at them
every now and then.

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:57 am

eternity went well weird around 1996..going on about god and the afterlife etc??

andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:07 am

Yeah it went weird after Dreamscape Murray died in summer '96. They had a glossy black edition with a big Christian cross on the front and after that I don't remember reading a copy. I quite liked To The Core magazine though.