An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Ha ha - not had an Ozrics rant in years - it felt good :biggrin:

I was working in Gurgaon (Delhi) for 2 weeks then had 5 days at the end for a bit of a holiday. One of the lads I was working with mentioned Udaipur... and I've ended up staying here all 5 days! Delhi for any length of time is a stress tbh & it is good to be somewhere as beautiful as this! It is stunning. I also managed Rishikesh (amazing), Haridwar & Nainital the weekend in between the work. We dunked in the Ganges @ Rishikesh on Monday morning 7am when technically we were due in the office some 250km away. Allegedly I have washed away my sins.... *clean slate, we go again! :biggrin: Ended up using a dongle to vpn to office en route back. It's been quality (aside Delhi after about 10 days... there is only so much one can take!)

I took this photo today... 2 and half weeks of shite phone photos then by pure luck:
Capture.PNG
Shoe-gazer meets indie-kid :biggrin:

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 pm

thats a pic fella!!

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:13 pm

I see that Basement Phil has commented on the interview :D

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 pm

LOON-E wrote:thats a pic fella!!
Yeah cheers absolutely love it and like to think it is related to a little prayer said very early this morning for someone special who didn't quite make this world... I digress. Thought I'd share it x

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Maybe you've not heard the right Ozric tunes :)

Here's a few 'interesting' ones :

(The bit from 3mins....!!!)

Some of the sounds they make are amazing - bit like when you'd hear an old skool tune & it had a specific sound to it that other tunes didn't (Before everyone sampled each other).

Quite like the way they just go off on a tangent as well and end up somewhere else. You never quite know what's going to happen (Unlike generic formulated pop).

MJS57
Regular
Regular

Post by MJS57 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:18 pm

LOON-E wrote:..does intrest me what us old enough to be into music pre "rave" listened too though..for me it was The Sex Pistols..Motown, Motorhead..punk bands and psychobilly (demented are go/The Meteors/King kurt etc) then Stone Roses/Neds Atomic dustbin and obv The Prodigy..led me too hardcore..
Neds Atomic Dustbin! My first gig was seeing them at Reading University! ahh the old indie days. Before hardcore it was Neds, Wonder Stuff, lots of Metal, Sex Pistols, Misfits, Hendrix, The Doors, Floyd, Love...hippy times.

I'm actually going to see The Wonder Stuff this weekend in Reading...yeah I said that. I expect flames now.

As for Ozrics, Jurassic Shift from 93 has fond memories for me.

And Pineapple, that picture is amazing...great catch.

As for Ron, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you have any memories of the session for Kev Bird's Unfriendly recording? I love that track, the almost backwards mid section, and pushing beats n synth lines.

2) Why did you start Smooth Recordings as a sub label? What was the impetus, or idea behind that?

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:26 pm

at least half of the God Fodder album i still listen too now..got a big soft spot for the Neds :)

LOON-E

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:38 pm

MJS57 wrote:
1) Do you have any memories of the session for Kev Bird's Unfriendly recording? I love that track, the almost backwards mid section, and pushing beats n synth lines.
Wasn't unfriendly done by Wax Doctor & Ron?

I had signed CD by Ned's Atomic Dustbin lol

MJS57
Regular
Regular

Post by MJS57 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:
MJS57 wrote:
Wasn't unfriendly done by Wax Doctor & Ron?

I had signed CD by Ned's Atomic Dustbin lol
Yep, you got me there. Mr Wax Doctor & Jack Smooth.....yeesh. Anyways, Ron, any memories of that session or tune in particular. Its a stormer!

Neds..lol, real glad I am not the only one, I'd feel cut-up if I were ;-)

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:03 pm

:lol: I was about 15 and they were doing a record signing and gig at a record shop in Cov. I was only about 14 so just bought a single and got them to sign it. Don't think I ever listened to it :D

Ron, what's your favourite Kraftwerk tune? I always liked this, not one of their more rocking numbers, but it has a great vibe

and 2:

What about Jean-Michel Jarre? I kinda grew up listening to him as my dad and one of my older brothers were into him and loads of weird, uncool electronic music (and dodgy easy listening)

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:28 am

Ha cheers RG there is always that chance so will give them a listen!

I also get the prog rock thing though the likes of Caravan is perhaps a step too far. I love weird time signatures too.

King Crimson - Frame by Frame springs to mind.

Watched a few interviews with Tony Levin whilst away too. It's what closet Gabriel fans do!

I remember having a game on the Atari ST that had JMJ music from Oxygen.e that blew me away at the time. But never found anything else by him that I liked.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:31 am

I think other tastes in music make you more diverse as a producer. You can clearly tell people who only love one genre and their attempts to make the same music can sound very one dimensional.

I have a guilty pleasure of Swing music. Love love love it.

One of my favourite bands has to be the "Royal Crown Revue" They were a mid 90's swing band and their most famous track is featured in the movie "The Mask" where Jim Carey & Diaz have their swing off.

The album "Mugzy's Move" is brilliant with some real comedic moments as well has some fantastic horns and trumpets and the drumming........ ahhhh bliss. I noticed a comment from Ron earlier saying how some tunes can just be drums as they are so good this fits into that category.

You can actually slap a 4/4 over it and it still sounds fantastic.

Proper track...

MJS57
Regular
Regular

Post by MJS57 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 am

pineappletribe wrote: I also get the prog rock thing though the likes of Caravan is perhaps a step too far. I love weird time signatures too.

I never could get into the two early albums, but the Andy Belew / Tony Levin period is great. Levin on the chapman stick is ace. Bruford on the drums too, great stuff. And to think, this the guy in the pink suit is/was in Nine Inch Nails.

I love McDonald & Giles too (from the 1st Crimson lineup), their solo album is fantastic, and Giles is a superb drummer. Check this track out, it's a slow builder, but the drums are great, from 3:11 onwards. A cool piece of music.

Since we are airing dirty laundry....I'm a big fan of Camel, Snow Goose, love that. Put it on, on a cold winters day, have a cuppa and look out the window. It is edging towards Caravan, but I'll agree that's a step too far.

I spent a year doing a jazz drumming course at Richmond Jazz School, so I can appreciate the love of swing, and all that. I saw Mingus Big Band a couple of times at Ronny Scotts, and that was mind-blowing. Mingus rules.

We should have a 'Guilty Pleasure / Dirty Laundry' thread for all these hideous confessions.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:21 am

pineappletribe wrote:Ha cheers RG there is always that chance so will give them a listen!

I also get the prog rock thing though the likes of Caravan is perhaps a step too far. I love weird time signatures too.

Watched a few interviews with Tony Levin whilst away too. It's what closet Gabriel fans do!

I remember having a game on the Atari ST that had JMJ music from Oxygen.e that blew me away at the time. But never found anything else by him that I liked.
Rfe JMJ - can't remember the name of the game (Captain blood or something??) but had a spaceship console with a hand you can control.
The tune I think was based on this (Which is probably my fave Jarre tune):

(Bit from around 7.30)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:55 am

pineappletribe wrote:Ha ha - not had an Ozrics rant in years - it felt good :biggrin:

I was working in Gurgaon (Delhi) for 2 weeks then had 5 days at the end for a bit of a holiday. One of the lads I was working with mentioned Udaipur... and I've ended up staying here all 5 days! Delhi for any length of time is a stress tbh & it is good to be somewhere as beautiful as this! It is stunning. I also managed Rishikesh (amazing), Haridwar & Nainital the weekend in between the work. We dunked in the Ganges @ Rishikesh on Monday morning 7am when technically we were due in the office some 250km away. Allegedly I have washed away my sins.... *clean slate, we go again! :biggrin: Ended up using a dongle to vpn to office en route back. It's been quality (aside Delhi after about 10 days... there is only so much one can take!)

I took this photo today... 2 and half weeks of shite phone photos then by pure luck:
Capture.PNG
Shoe-gazer meets indie-kid :biggrin:
Wicked!, bet you've had an awesome time.

Now that you've washed in the Ganges, you are forgiven.

;-)

(what line of work?)