An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by retrospect » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:38 am

Another question for Jack Smooth..

BITD did you know many tricks of the studio pros when it came to getting the mix right in your productions? i.e. eq'ing each individual track, cleaning & eq'ing breaks, adding compression etc. or were things a bit more rudimentary - was it a case of just adjusting the volumes on the mixer & recording whatever came out of the synths and samplers?

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:46 am

dial1 wrote:
I also have a groundrule that any music that sounds shit sober to me is music not worth listening to under the influence.
That was/is still exactly my sentiment.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:53 am

retrospect wrote:Another question for Jack Smooth..

BITD did you know many tricks of the studio pros when it came to getting the mix right in your productions? i.e. eq'ing each individual track, cleaning & eq'ing breaks, adding compression etc. or were things a bit more rudimentary - was it a case of just adjusting the volumes on the mixer & recording whatever came out of the synths and samplers?
I am 100% self taught... it was always a case of learning on the job, reading the manuals, reading Sound on Sound (and other music production mags) and loads of practice.

After the first few tracks (only had a DJ mixer then) I used eq and effects on each channel (after getting a small but fit for purpose desk) ... I never used compression (I didn't own or even want a compressor).

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 am

You may of seen this Ron but if you haven't enjoy.

Around the 14 min mark you can clearly hear the sound of Techno, and what a fantastic sound that is.... I imagine it would of been mind blowing to hear this live for the first time.

I have to confess (due to my age) that I am not overly familiar with Kraftwerk and their signature sound so from a fans point of view what album would be a good start for me to delve into the world of Kraftwerk?

Thanks

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:25 pm

LOL, most of that sounds like Prog Rock.

Kraftwerk's 1981 Computerworld album is for me a big proponent in the birth of Electro and then Techno, you will recognise loads of it sampled in Techno tracks. Pocket Calculator is a bit light and cheesy (we'll forgive them because the rest is fabulous) but the other tracks on the album are utter trend setting electro tech that has influenced the entire genre.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:00 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:LOL, most of that sounds like Prog Rock.

Kraftwerk's 1981 Computerworld album is for me a big proponent in the birth of Electro and then Techno, you will recognise loads of it sampled in Techno tracks. Pocket Calculator is a bit light and cheesy (we'll forgive them because the rest is fabulous) but the other tracks on the album are utter trend setting electro tech that has influenced the entire genre.
What's wrong with prog rock?

Granted, there was a lot of pretentiously cheesy stuff, but the avant garde more dissonant and jazzier end of it was genuinely intelligent.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:02 pm

silky wrote:You may of seen this Ron but if you haven't enjoy.

Around the 14 min mark you can clearly hear the sound of Techno, and what a fantastic sound that is.... I imagine it would of been mind blowing to hear this live for the first time.

I have to confess (due to my age) that I am not overly familiar with Kraftwerk and their signature sound so from a fans point of view what album would be a good start for me to delve into the world of Kraftwerk?

Thanks
Get Organisation - Tone Float. I think you'll like it.

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks
Gottsching pioneered/invented the antecedents of the melodic components of detroit techno as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khejrbgdc4w

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks
And this (techno) track from 1973. Generally I hate saying that but the parallels between this and what Vogel is doing now are uncanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcTePruv3Y

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:22 pm

dial1 wrote:
What's wrong with prog rock?
It's isn't Techno, that's what's wrong with it... not in context.

If you want to talk prog rock, then Ozric Tentacles are my first choice... they may not be from the 70s, but, for me, they are bewilderingly good and I will never come close to matching such effortless skill ('Waterfall Cities', 'Curious Corn', 'Spirals in Hyperspace', 'Yum Yum Tree' being some of my favourites).

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:27 pm

"Gottsching pioneered/invented the antecedents of the melodic components of detroit techno as far as I'm concerned".

Techno: Both Derek May and Juan Aktins are documented as being primarily influenced by Kraftwerk (you don't even need them to say it, you can obviously hear it in their work), Electro: so is Afrika Bambaataa (for obvious reasons seeing as Planet Rock is two Kraftwerk tunes copied and glued together).

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:57 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
If you want to talk prog rock, then Ozric Tentacles are my first choice... they may not be from the 70s, but, for me, they are bewilderingly good and I will never come close to matching such effortless skill ('Waterfall Cities', 'Curious Corn', 'Spirals in Hyperspace', 'Yum Yum Tree' being some of my favourites).
Discovered this group a couple of years back - amazing blend of electronic and real instruments :)
Each album (or the ones I've listened to anyway) are all fairly different to each other, but you still know it's gotta be them involved.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:07 pm

renegadegenius wrote:
Discovered this group a couple of years back - amazing blend of electronic and real instruments :)
Each album (or the ones I've listened to anyway) are all fairly different to each other, but you still know it's gotta be them involved.
Mate, I've seen them live twice... ridiculous, effortless skill. Sounds just as good as the CDs and it looks like he's hardly trying... he (Ed Wynne) is crazy good, unbelievably gifted.

Me = envious, but in supportive admiration.

;-)

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:12 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
renegadegenius wrote:
Mate, I've seen them live twice... ridiculous, effortless skill. Sounds just as good as the CDs and it looks like he's hardly trying... he (Ed Wynne) is crazy good, unbelievably gifted.

Me = envious, but in supportive admiration.

;-)
Only seen a few YT vids, but what I saw looked amazing!
Last album I heard was this one (Which someone bought for my birthday a year or two ago).
:
http://www.discogs.com/Ozric-Tentacles- ... ter/380656

Just seen there's another batch of bits they've released, so looks like I'll be having a listen to those later to see what goodies are amoung them :)

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Ozric Tentacles also did the music for the rave scene on Byker Grove :D