An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by phil » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:17 pm

what you going to be making in your new studio then?

what style of music

nosy git arent i lol

Vinyl Conflict
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Vinyl Conflict » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 pm

pineappletribe wrote:What is the 'eternity mix' u are referring to?
There's one for sale on Discogs http://www.discogs.com/Jack-Smooth-Life ... ase/407987

Nice to see you on here Mr Smooth ! Loved your style and still do :)

STG
Regular
Regular

Post by STG » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Fascinating thread!

And speaking about other records that are hard to come by, I was wondering how come your Fast Floor LP - On A Quest For Intelligence had such a low print run. Seemed like this never got past the promo (test press?) phase, as even the individual records were white labels. Any story behind this release?

Thanks! :D

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:22 pm

STG wrote:Fascinating thread!

And speaking about other records that are hard to come by, I was wondering how come your Fast Floor LP - On A Quest For Intelligence had such a low print run. Seemed like this never got past the promo (test press?) phase, as even the individual records were white labels. Any story behind this release?

Good question - also do you still have the dats

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:19 pm

phil wrote:
STG wrote:Fascinating thread!

Good question - also do you still have the dats
Yes, I've got the DATs for a whole heap of tunes.

The album was way too ahead of it's time to be honest and at that time my attention was beginning to be focused elsewhere.

Signing to MCA in 1996 was a big mistake in hindsight (although they paid handsomely). They didn't know what to do with us (Fast Floor / Earl Grey). We pulled away from the underground scene at the time as we thought with such massive backing we would break new markets - our music was always meant to be listenable outside of clubs. The fact is that MCA proved to be useless.

That experience taught me a lot, nameley that being rich does not automatically mean being clever.

But... that experience, coupled with some of the other knob heads in the music industry, sent me on my way in business and I haven't looked back in that respect to be fair.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:28 pm

So since you've been on hiatus from making music, what music have you been listening to and gaining inspiration from?

Do you stay in contact with any of the people from the Basement era? Wax Doctor, Phil Wells, Alex Reece etc?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:09 am

I've thought of a question if you don't mind - do you remember the proper names of the three tracks on the 20 Hurts EP? As you probably know, the label has the wrong track names (it has the ones from Hedgehog Affair 4 on it.) It would be cool to know what they're actually called!

dj direct
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj direct » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:04 pm

made a interesting read this in the shop on a rainy day in devon !! i have always wanted a copy of 20 hurts but never found one cheap enough ! its one of my favorite tunes !

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:35 pm

dj jedi wrote:I've thought of a question if you don't mind - do you remember the proper names of the three tracks on the 20 Hurts EP? As you probably know, the label has the wrong track names (it has the ones from Hedgehog Affair 4 on it.) It would be cool to know what they're actually called!
I agree mate, it's cool to know the actual titles of white label tunes. It helps me remember the tune much better if I had a name to think of than just "Mix a1" or "be side".

I sent Nexus & Blowback an e-mail about the track names of both Boomin' Tunes Volumes 1 and 2 but I never got a reply.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

what evil lurks wrote: I sent Nexus & Blowback an e-mail about the track names of both Boomin' Tunes Volumes 1 and 2 but I never got a reply.
Isn't Boomin' Tunes vol. 1 just three of the tracks from the Cats Whiskas EP?

http://www.discogs.com/Nexus-Blowback-T ... ster/10901

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Blimey - i stay away from most '93 hardcore tbh.. i never quite got my head around the 'here come the drums' style drum loops that kicked in around that era....

.. i still find the odd gem though -> despite keeping my mix downloads etc to 91-92 stuff primarily.

So - have just listened to 'Plight of the Innovators' for THE FIRST TIME EVER!!

Epic. It has all the qualities that i like in the 'V10 Overload' track already mentioned. I also like the Cartridge remix (on the Basement re-issue). Top top tune... not a bad reaction to a tune made 18+ years ago -> just found one on discogs!

I love hardcore :D

PS. Ron - are u anything to do with (production-wise) the Malice/Enzyme stuff on Nu Basement? I love their stuff on the label... I wasn't too keen on the other recent releases... But got recommended a couple of the new eps (cheers Phil :D ) & think they are awesome up-to-date versions of the old Basement style...

Wow :)

PS. I am slightly embarassed by the butt-kissing ere.. but you're up their with the like of Rob Playford / Caspar Pound / Ellis Dee / etc for the quality of your hardcore releases ;)

PPS. Get in that studio!

PPPS. Did you do any work with DJ Mayhem -> love his early releases on Basement.

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:06 pm

They are different mixes, I have to check at home, but I think 2 tunes were just alternate versions and the other one was not on Cat Whiskas.

Anyway, I even love knowing "mix names" of the tunes I like and I also wanted yo know which ep came out first :)
dj jedi wrote:
what evil lurks wrote: I sent Nexus & Blowback an e-mail about the track names of both Boomin' Tunes Volumes 1 and 2 but I never got a reply.
Isn't Boomin' Tunes vol. 1 just three of the tracks from the Cats Whiskas EP?

http://www.discogs.com/Nexus-Blowback-T ... ster/10901

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 pm

blimey this thead is on fire!!! so it sould be with jack smooth in the place!! lovin it...some great questions to :)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:11 pm

pineappletribe wrote:Ron - are u anything to do with (production-wise) the Malice/Enzyme stuff on Nu Basement?

Did you do any work with DJ Mayhem -> love his early releases on Basement.
I don't remember either Malice or Enzyme so probably not (worked with too many people, I forget)

Now, in terms of Mayhem, he was one of the cleverer artists on Basement. I worked extensivley on those classic early releases with him (once again Roland JX8-P played a big part) - good tunes and he's a great guy.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:27 pm

so the big question is.............

What do you have on your dats from 1991-1993 that was never released?

(hope you dont mind me asking)