An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
meatpie48
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by meatpie48 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:18 pm

i owonder if he'd accept a score for what he's got in his collection now!

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:03 pm

what a shame..must of meant something...

safe
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by safe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 am

jp72 wrote:
hektikal wrote:
I probably threw away over £10k - but they were worthless to me at the time - and I still don't see their worth now.

Now you can see how 'bothered' I was (and still am) about stuff like this you will probably understand why I don't have much of these tunes lying around.

Even if he didn't care for the tunes, throwing away potentially £10k+ of anything has got to hurt! He sounds cross to me!
yeah, i agree. it's like, that's great that you don't care, but you're still £10k+ worse off. :lol:

what's he doing now? does he still like old skool? drum 'n' bass? as talented as he is, you'd think he could do well if he did a bit of production on the side.

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 am

bit of a shame to read his answer. fair play if he has moved on, just the wording/ demeanour used makes seem like a dig to all those who appreciate what he did and those of us who are still into it and the artists of that era still involved etc. maybe he was just in an off mood. fair enough if he has moved on and his tastes have changed i guess.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:24 pm

i think he's just not a record collector from the sounds of it. that he finds the idea of thse old unreleased white labels from 18 years ago being worth £100 silly, so naturally when he had a clear-out they weren't a priority to him.

i don't think he's dismissing hardcore as a whole as being silly.

that's how i read it anyway :D

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:i think he's just not a record collector from the sounds of it. that he finds the idea of thse old unreleased white labels from 18 years ago being worth £100 silly, so naturally when he had a clear-out they weren't a priority to him.

i don't think he's dismissing hardcore as a whole as being silly.

that's how i read it anyway :D
Yeah I agree. And to be honest you can't blame him for thinking that!

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

No way - what a shame :-(

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 am

Alright chaps...

I suppose I need to clear this up.

Firstly, I was horrified to learn that some people might think I was being disrespectful by what I said about the value of those tunes I left for the dustman (it is true!).

You guys have always amazed and genuinly inspired me with your admiration for my work!!! It's f*ing amazing when you get this kind of feedback and dedication from people.

I was privellaged and I certainly had a very good 8 years in the music business. I just don't see - out of genuine modesty - how a track can ever be worth more than twenty odd quid - You fellas have better things to spend that kind of money on.

NOTE THAT... If you cut me in half it will say 'TECHNO' right through my body! Only yesterday I was driving to a business meeting listening to 'Juan Atkins 20 Years of Metroplex'.

I laughed to myself about the comment here about not being hardcore anymore and have to agree with the photo of me! ;-) I'm still proper hardcore at heart. :-)

Anyway, thanks guys, it's amazing how much talk there is about me on the web now - it is flattering.

I stil make music and in fact much of it is used worlwide on TV, but it's not my primary income now (it's my pension), so I can enjoy making it even more and without commercial restraints.

However, I have just finised building a new studio at home and intend to make some more tracks for release by the end of this year, business needs to be done first though to give me the time to be properly creative.

Thanks and Kind Regards : Ron

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Nice to see you on here Ron :D You must be my favourite producer from that era, even now I still find tunes by artists I've never heard of that turn out to be you in some guise! True legend.

Appreciate the situation and to be honest most here are the same, they wouldn't trade their arm chair for a rave if you paid them! :lol: Doesn't mean you're not hardcore at heart though.

Any chance of making anything in the old flavour in future? You had a killer formula back then.

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

dj jedi wrote:Nice to see you on here Ron :D You must be my favourite producer from that era, even now I still find tunes by artists I've never heard of that turn out to be you in some guise! True legend.
Without wanting to sound like a gushing fanboy, I can only echo what Jedi said.

Thanks for popping in! :D

#Edit# Not that I'm suggesting Jedi sounded like a gushing fanboy.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:24 pm

dj jedi wrote:
Appreciate the situation and to be honest most here are the same, they wouldn't trade their arm chair for a rave if you paid them! :lol: Doesn't mean you're not hardcore at heart
Armchair??? more like bed with me:)

Anyway, i can only re-iterate what the 2 gushing fanboys have said above. Whether on your own tunes, or you producing someone elses, seeing "Ron Wells" printed on the label was a seal of quality. Take the Trumpton samples off the Urban Hype tune and it's still a classic slice of hardcore.

I hope you rpoduce some new stuff, whether its old style hardcore or turbo folk or whatever...it'd be good to hear it anyway.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:39 pm

RonWellsJS wrote: However, I have just finised building a new studio at home and intend to make some more tracks for release by the end of this year, business needs to be done first though to give me the time to be properly creative.
Please Please make some in the style we all know & love. Hedgehog Affairs are timeless, along with most Basement tunes.

[-o<

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:Alright chaps...

I just don't see - out of genuine modesty - how a track can ever be worth more than twenty odd quid - You fellas have better things to spend that kind of money on.

Awesome to see you join the forum and put some input to this thread!! 8)

By far one of the best producer's from bitd! would be superb if you could make some more tracks in the oldskool style!! maybe rmx some of your old stuff? so have you got no old dat's kicking about?
Last edited by warpedcore on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

ha, Ok, same here - not wanting to sound like a 'gushing fan-boy' and all that - nice to see you on here Ron, respect.

It's all about 'Plight of the Innovators' for me. SUPERB slice of hardcore.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:27 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:If you cut me in half it will say 'TECHNO' right through my body!
8)