An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by RonWellsJS » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:23 pm

lien wrote:So Ron shall I ask a serious question or something random? ;) :lol:

I've not started boozing yet so choose wisely..... just saying! :badgrin:
Start boozing and then decide.

;-)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:32 pm

pineappletribe wrote:
@Ron - rather tedious IT work in the airline industry mate! ](*,) But I guess it does allow me a fair amount of working from home, which allows for better pursuits ;)

I had better bring this tangent back on track with a question for Jack Smooth! :oops: It is probably already answered in thread tbh, but just so as I can come back on topic...... What did you initially use to run sequencing software (presumably Cubase?!):

Atari ST or Commodore Amiga?

I used to have an Atari STFM & the first studio I ever went to used this to run Cubase. RIP Ray Block (my good friend who was co-owner) - who was also a closet Peter Gabriel fan I might add... never forgotten mate!
Started with Roland MC300 sequencer, then Cubase on Atari, then Cubase on PC... still on Cubase PC.

IT for Airline industry doesn't sound tedious to me (I'm in business software). IT people never get the respect they deserve, it can be a thankless task... "it never goes wrong, why do we pay you? - it's gone wrong, why do we pay you?" Without IT the world would probably stop, I appreciate what (good) IT people do.

;-)

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:39 pm

RonWellsJS wrote: IT for Airline industry doesn't sound tedious to me (I'm in business software). IT people never get the respect they deserve, it can be a thankless task... "it never goes wrong, why do we pay you? - it's gone wrong, why do we pay you?" Without IT the world would probably stop, I appreciate what (good) IT people do.

;-)
Matt & Inferno..... truth there! (Sorry if I have missed out you other IT nut jobs ;) )

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am

RonWellsJS wrote:IT for Airline industry doesn't sound tedious to me (I'm in business software). IT people never get the respect they deserve, it can be a thankless task... "it never goes wrong, why do we pay you? - it's gone wrong, why do we pay you?" Without IT the world would probably stop, I appreciate what (good) IT people do.

;-)
Ha - I feel your pain ;) I got my foot in the door in IT because of my finance based education & an initial accountancy job (which really was tedious!). So I started off by supporting finance related applications. Kind of went on from there....

Completely with you on the perception of the role by others. It makes me laugh tbh. I struggle more with the incompetence of those managing said IT staff. My India trip is a good example.. 4yrs ago - "lets outsource support"; This year - "we have no qualified in-house support & seem to be paying loads for our 3rd party support... lets send our staff to India for training" ](*,)

Don't get me started on ITIL :lol:

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:37 am

pineappletribe wrote:Don't get me started on ITIL :lol:
:lol: Went for a job recently where they were asking for the ITIL qualification & I asked why, they said HR just put it on the job spec as everyone else seems to ask for it. I also pointed out that there website was vulnerable as it was running an old version of PHP..... did not get the job, but they cleared up all the security holes on both websites they were hosting tho..... wonder why! :badgrin:

Back on topic.....

Ron, its rumoured that you threw away a shit load of vinyl in the late 90's when moving house, do you regret this? (if it actually happened)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:52 pm

lien wrote:
pineappletribe wrote:Don't get me started on ITIL :lol:
:lol: Went for a job recently where they were asking for the ITIL qualification & I asked why, they said HR just put it on the job spec as everyone else seems to ask for it. I also pointed out that there website was vulnerable as it was running an old version of PHP..... did not get the job, but they cleared up all the security holes on both websites they were hosting tho..... wonder why! :badgrin:

Back on topic.....

Ron, its rumoured that you threw away a shit load of vinyl in the late 90's when moving house, do you regret this? (if it actually happened)
It's true, don't really regret it, I couldn't be arsed to move them when moving out of London, in fact someone commenting on me leaving hundreds of tunes for the dustman is exactly how this thread was originally started.

;-)

PS: That IT job interview story is terrible, HR should be ashamed. The phrase "a little knowledge is dangerous" was invented for the IT industry.

:-)

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:26 pm

From my experience, HR departments do not do shame! :evil:

maxxvinyl
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by maxxvinyl » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
maxxvinyl wrote:i'm nut a Basement fanboy, i prob only have about 10 releases, but i do like ya Wax Factory stuff with Chris, Four Seasons was my first and then Lifes Little pleasures.

Do u still see/hear from Chris?

PS I didn't know about 2 Da Core, fanx for dat :)
No, he stole a lot of money from me, he's off my XMAS card list!

sorry to bring bak a bad reminder :-|

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:43 am

maxxvinyl wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:
maxxvinyl wrote:i'm nut a Basement fanboy, i prob only have about 10 releases, but i do like ya Wax Factory stuff with Chris, Four Seasons was my first and then Lifes Little pleasures.

Do u still see/hear from Chris?

PS I didn't know about 2 Da Core, fanx for dat :)
No, he stole a lot of money from me, he's off my XMAS card list!

sorry to bring bak a bad reminder :-|
No worries I'm over it.

;-)

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:39 pm

How OCD were you when you produced a track? Was it a case of I'm done, next tune please! Or did you go back & tweak bits constantly?

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:11 pm

lien wrote:How OCD were you when you produced a track? Was it a case of I'm done, next tune please! Or did you go back & tweak bits constantly?

The former, there was not enough time to be OCD back then, it was a sausage factory, that's why some of the work isn't so good.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:42 pm

what rules did you have with yourself with re-using ideas in more than one track?

being familiar with some other very prolific producers, you sometimes hear them reusing certain riffs or samples, or making subtle adjustments to things they've done before for other tracks. or using certain templates for tracks. some more than others, of course.

did you ever do anything like that, given the high output? and how far would you go?

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:59 am

I think it will have been unavoidable, I can hear it happening across many of the releases. I'm pretty certain I have never reused a riff, but the rest will have happened, given the volume of work in that timeframe.

Pretty much the only tunes that were afforded more than half a day were the Fast Floor ones and I think it shows.

I also think it would be easy to work out what my favourite breaks are, there are a few that I've used a lot.

:-)
Traffic Cone wrote:what rules did you have with yourself with re-using ideas in more than one track?

being familiar with some other very prolific producers, you sometimes hear them reusing certain riffs or samples, or making subtle adjustments to things they've done before for other tracks. or using certain templates for tracks. some more than others, of course.

did you ever do anything like that, given the high output? and how far would you go?

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:34 am

So what tracks have you done that you put your feet up, kick back then fold the fingers behind the head & give it "YEAH! I did this!" too?
Last edited by lien on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:14 am

Ill add to this...

Ron if you don't mind answering. How much was it back then to get time in your Studio?

Did you do like a mates rates for more of your regular customers?