An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:56 pm

oldskoolforever wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote: Sometimes you think you're doing a genuine collaboration (the other guy does writes a bit of it), only to find later that the deluded/selfish fool thinks he wrote the whole thing.

Sometimes the guy does nothing other than bring a couple of records to sample and thinks he wrote everything.

Sometimes the assistance you give is recognised and credited.

Sometimes the guy knows what he's doing and only needs a bit of help with mixing and production.

If you exposed the 'talent leaches' at time of release you would have an ever decreasing client list, so you live with it, hoping you've been appreciated.

There aren't many gentlemen to agree with I'm afraid.

There is a well known phrase "where there's a hit, there's a writ"... you don't need hits to have disputes, they are commonplace.

The best way to put talent leaches in their place is to ask them to post a video on youtube of them recreating the whole track on their own in real-time... that tends to quieten them down somewhat.

;-)
One thing that i'm always curious about... clearly when you have the talent that you do, at that point in '92/'93 with all the type of leaches you encountered - you must have felt like just doing stuff solo all the time & not bother putting up with all the jokers ? But, as you pointed out that they were "clients", I assume that the money was needed to keep things ticking along, or to finance more gear ?
Yep... that's exactly it, I really needed the studio booking money to invest in equipment. I wanted the best studio kit I could afford and I pretty much lived on beans in the early days so that I could invest every possible penny into Sound Entity Studio.

Aside, there were of course plenty of really good studio sessions with guys that didn't need any compositional help. I've said before that in particular Mayhem and Kev Bird were well capable and they were certainly not the only ones who were.

Phantasy became great customer, he used to book 1 or 2 days every week at one point and we used to have such a laugh... they were golden days and good sessions.

IMO, most of my best stuff has been done with Paul Clarke as either Fast Floor, or Earl Grey.
Last edited by RonWellsJS on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:04 pm

silky wrote:As always it's really interesting getting an insight to your studio time.

Ron, did much of your early work consist of using arpeggios? You always managed to produce really good bass grooves.

And how did you go about writing melodies? Was it done in parts or pretty much in real time?

Also what were your first ever works like? Do you still have copies of them?

And finally, would you still buy an ASR 10 today?

I can't believe this thread is now 34 pages long, you will be running for class president soon.

:wink:
* In the early days I was hopeless with a keyboard, but could just about play what I needed if I slowed the track down while recording the riffs in. I also used to use a feature called 'Step Write' which let you play keys and rests in a grid (each step moves to the next 16th note in the grid) - you could make some really off the wall stuff that way and some great arpeggios. Later on I got a bit better at keys, but I'm still not very good as in, I need the computer... I can't play the stuff live - Paul Clarke always could - also Mayhem has become a good keyboard player.

* The early stuff sounds so primitive - some of it I have a hard time listening to (you have to start somewhere). There is some early Jack Smooth stuff on YouTube.

* I've still got my ASR10, I'm not sure I would buy one now though as you can do the same in NI Battery (and loads of other soft samplers).

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:04 pm

This kind of tune? I quite like it.

MikeW
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by MikeW » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

This EP is great:

http://www.discogs.com/Smooth-Simmonds- ... ease/79404

I think most of the tunes on there still stand up, and it looks like the value is creeping up on discogs - I'm sure I sold a copy for something silly like £2 or £3 about 5 years ago.

otbiz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by otbiz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:26 pm

The Four Seasons is a personal favourite of mine. Love the stabs, the Apache, and when the strings come in it's sublime. All slightly off key too. Perfect tune! :)

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, would love that step write feature to help me out, I get so static with my melodies it's frustrating, but actually getting good sounds out of the 01RW now, have found that the Virus B has an Arp send feature so now my 01RW & JV 2080 can use the same Arp Patterns as my virus with their sounds. :biggrin:

Have just stumbled across this tune of yours,

Wow, it has that awesome progressive house sound of 93, quite Orbital like. Ron why is this the only house release on Sound Entity? How come you didn't make more of this type of music? It's simply brilliant.

What Synth is doing the melody at 3.00? And what is making the bass that accompanies it? Also the strings at the start have great chord progression.

Oh to of been a fly on that wall in Sound Entity Studios.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:09 am

silky wrote:Thanks for the reply, would love that step write feature to help me out, I get so static with my melodies it's frustrating, but actually getting good sounds out of the 01RW now, have found that the Virus B has an Arp send feature so now my 01RW & JV 2080 can use the same Arp Patterns as my virus with their sounds. :biggrin:

Wow, it has that awesome progressive house sound of 93, quite Orbital like. Ron why is this the only house release on Sound Entity? How come you didn't make more of this type of music? It's simply brilliant.

What Synth is doing the melody at 3.00? And what is making the bass that accompanies it? Also the strings at the start have great chord progression.

Cubase has step write and probably every other sequencer, I'd be surprised if you didn't already have it.

The stab again is a Korg 01/W
Bass is probably either Roland SH101, Juno 106... or Novation Bass Station

Not sue why it's the only house track on S.E. I've made plenty of them
Last edited by RonWellsJS on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:10 am

otbiz wrote:The Four Seasons is a personal favourite of mine. Love the stabs, the Apache, and when the strings come in it's sublime. All slightly off key too. Perfect tune! :)
I think that's my second tune, you can clearly tell that I did not know what I was doing and that I had almost no equipment.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:14 am

MikeW wrote:This EP is great:

http://www.discogs.com/Smooth-Simmonds- ... ease/79404

I think most of the tunes on there still stand up, and it looks like the value is creeping up on discogs - I'm sure I sold a copy for something silly like £2 or £3 about 5 years ago.
That was my 4th release, I was getting a little better by then but still had a very limited setup.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Alright Ron, I've sent you a PM ;)

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:30 am

RonWellsJS wrote:
silky wrote:Thanks for the reply, would love that step write feature to help me out, I get so static with my melodies it's frustrating, but actually getting good sounds out of the 01RW now, have found that the Virus B has an Arp send feature so now my 01RW & JV 2080 can use the same Arp Patterns as my virus with their sounds. :biggrin:

Cubase has step write and probably every other sequencer, I'd be surprised if you didn't already have it.

The stab again is a Korg 01/W
Bass is probably either Roland SH101, Juno 106... or Novation Bass Station

Not sue why it's the only house track on S.E. I've made plenty of them
Does Step Write = Quantize on Cubase?

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:44 am

Step write is probably how Renoise works as standard.
You enter the notes directly into the editor rather than recording & playing them in live.
Maybe a bit like the 'Piano Roll' in Fruity loops.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:16 am

OK yes pretty standard then. Note Grid in Ableton.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:22 am

DJ Chance wrote:OK yes pretty standard then. Note Grid in Ableton.

I'd guess it's like that more than the renoise editor - which probably does a similar thing, just a bit differently.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am

DJ Chance wrote:

Does Step Write = Quantize on Cubase?
Hi mate, no... quantize is what you do to existing notes (or automatically whilst recording new ones) to make them fit within different time signature grids.

The step button is left of the midi socket icon, right of the button highlighted in red.

Step enables you to enter notes and move to the next step or skip steps to make extremely random patterns and arpeggios. I first used this feature on the Roland MC300 sequencer - it all works pretty much the same.

It almost always produces patterns that a human would not normally come up with, you could argue that it's not really proper composing so some purists might frown upon it, but it has it's uses for when you want a complete randomness. And it's fine as long as you don't completely rely on it for your entire repertoire (that would be a bit sad).
Last edited by RonWellsJS on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.