An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi,

"bring back 1994"

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 pm

You're such a tease Ron!

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Do you still keep in contact with Alex Reece?

From what I've read you became mates and had some of your formative raving experiences with him, then you produced with him and Oscar up until Metalheads time.

What did you make of his album? The controversy with Goldie over Pulp Fiction etc etc.

I edited his biography on Discogs and he gave me a bit of a slapping down for it lol

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:01 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:Do you still keep in contact with Alex Reece?

From what I've read you became mates and had some of your formative raving experiences with him, then you produced with him and Oscar up until Metalheads time.

What did you make of his album? The controversy with Goldie over Pulp Fiction etc etc.

I edited his biography on Discogs and he gave me a bit of a slapping down for it lol
Are you familiar with the phrase "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

This is me saying nothing at all.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:06 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:

Are you familiar with the phrase "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

Hmmmm personally, or musically? Or both? lol

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:03 am

ian saunders remix wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:

Hmmmm personally, or musically? Or both? lol
I refer you to my previous statement.

;-)

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 am

The music business certainly seems to chew up inter-personal relationships :D

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:59 am

ian saunders remix wrote:The music business certainly seems to chew up inter-personal relationships :D
The music business has always been riddled with self centred and/or talentless arseholes.

That's why I and many others got well out of it.

Obviously I have worked with some good fellas... but there have been considerably more of the above mentioned individuals than I care to recall.

;-)

Ric
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:21 pm

I know you never will let on but I bet you have some interesting truths about various 'artists'
You're opinion of the industry sounds similar to KLF.
Out of interest, when you help an artist create a track (or probably write the whole thing) are you legally bound to secrecy regarding what your input was? Basically do you and others in your position keep quiet due to the legal ramifications or is it more of a gentleman's agreement?

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Ric wrote:I know you never will let on but I bet you have some interesting truths about various 'artists'
You're opinion of the industry sounds similar to KLF.
Out of interest, when you help an artist create a track (or probably write the whole thing) are you legally bound to secrecy regarding what your input was? Basically do you and others in your position keep quiet due to the legal ramifications or is it more of a gentleman's agreement?
Hi mate, no it's not really like that.

Sometimes you think you're doing a genuine collaboration (the other guy does writes a bit of it), only to find later that the deluded/selfish fool thinks he wrote the whole thing.

Sometimes the guy does nothing other than bring a couple of records to sample and thinks he wrote everything.

Sometimes the assistance you give is recognised and credited.

Sometimes the guy knows what he's doing and only needs a bit of help with mixing and production.

If you exposed the 'talent leaches' at time of release you would have an ever decreasing client list, so you live with it, hoping you've been appreciated.

There aren't many gentlemen to agree with I'm afraid.

There is a well known phrase "where there's a hit, there's a writ"... you don't need hits to have disputes, they are commonplace.

The best way to put talent leaches in their place is to ask them to post a video on youtube of them recreating the whole track on their own in real-time... that tends to quieten them down somewhat.

;-)

Ric

Post by Ric » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks for that, interesting to know. Makes sense you'll shoot yourself in the foot if you make noise. Better to get paid, say nothing and have them come back with more work,even if they're a deluded egocentric bell-end :-)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Ric wrote:Thanks for that, interesting to know. Makes sense you'll shoot yourself in the foot if you make noise. Better to get paid, say nothing and have them come back with more work,even if they're a deluded egocentric bell-end :-)
LOL Ric,

The way you have just spelled that out is pure and utter poetry; I can only salute your wordsmanship!

Everyone has got to make a living and especially when you are young and gullible you generally tolerate having the piss taken out of you because it's paying some of the bills.

When you grow up emotionally or financially (preferably both) hopefully you then set yourself standards that you will no longer fall below. So the piss takers are then excommunicated and left to fester in small-time hustledom.

Justin Drake who was Marvin Beaver's engineer (and a good one), used to write and produce pretty much whole tunes for people (not Marvin, he can make his own) and he never got the credit he deserved... he was easy going and enthusiastic, like a lot of us were back then. We were young and just wanted to do well.

;-)

Ric

Post by Ric » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Haha! Cheers. Glad you approve of my summary.
Definitely interesting to hear the stories.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:00 am

As always it's really interesting getting an insight to your studio time.

Ron, did much of your early work consist of using arpeggios? You always managed to produce really good bass grooves.

And how did you go about writing melodies? Was it done in parts or pretty much in real time?

Also what were your first ever works like? Do you still have copies of them?

And finally, would you still buy an ASR 10 today?

I can't believe this thread is now 34 pages long, you will be running for class president soon.

:wink:

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

RonWellsJS wrote: Sometimes you think you're doing a genuine collaboration (the other guy does writes a bit of it), only to find later that the deluded/selfish fool thinks he wrote the whole thing.

Sometimes the guy does nothing other than bring a couple of records to sample and thinks he wrote everything.

Sometimes the assistance you give is recognised and credited.

Sometimes the guy knows what he's doing and only needs a bit of help with mixing and production.

If you exposed the 'talent leaches' at time of release you would have an ever decreasing client list, so you live with it, hoping you've been appreciated.

There aren't many gentlemen to agree with I'm afraid.

There is a well known phrase "where there's a hit, there's a writ"... you don't need hits to have disputes, they are commonplace.

The best way to put talent leaches in their place is to ask them to post a video on youtube of them recreating the whole track on their own in real-time... that tends to quieten them down somewhat.

;-)
One thing that i'm always curious about... clearly when you have the talent that you do, at that point in '92/'93 with all the type of leaches you encountered - you must have felt like just doing stuff solo all the time & not bother putting up with all the jokers ? But, as you pointed out that they were "clients", I assume that the money was needed to keep things ticking along, or to finance more gear ?