An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Locked
ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:You guys have all raised good points above... agree with all of them.

The 'future jungle' track above uses Amen, which to me seemed utterly pointless, given the 100,000 + times it's been used. As soon as it came in I rolled my eyes, but the chord stabs were nice.

I think the last genuine music genre was liquid dnb, but that might just be me being biased as I really liked that sound a lot. Everything after 1996 for me can clearly be related to a whole genre of music gone before.

FTR, I don't think there is ever a necessity to break new ground, nostalgia is great but don't pretend you are being avant garde by re-labelling it as a fake new genre... it just makes you look a twat and it's embarrassing for those who have to point out that it's nothing new or special and that your are deluded.

;-)
I think that the only reason it's got a new name is to differentiate it from the upfront (and, I'm sorry, rubbish) hardcore being made today by chavvers like Squad-E etc.

User avatar
oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door
Posts: 6394
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:20 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:29 pm

ian saunders remix wrote: I think that the only reason it's got a new name is to differentiate it from the upfront (and, I'm sorry, rubbish) hardcore being made today by chavvers like Squad-E etc.
Nothing wrong with UK Hardcore, its not for everyone - but the parties are always pumping and the scene is still going strong. BTW, I don't think Squad-E has made anything for quite a while...at least I haven't seen him credited on anything recent. Wasn't he in hospital a couple of years ago ? Could just be one of those UK Hardcore rumours going around though lol.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:21 pm

oldskoolforever wrote:
ian saunders remix wrote: I think that the only reason it's got a new name is to differentiate it from the upfront (and, I'm sorry, rubbish) hardcore being made today by chavvers like Squad-E etc.
Nothing wrong with UK Hardcore, its not for everyone - but the parties are always pumping and the scene is still going strong. BTW, I don't think Squad-E has made anything for quite a while...at least I haven't seen him credited on anything recent. Wasn't he in hospital a couple of years ago ? Could just be one of those UK Hardcore rumours going around though lol.
He's got some new stuff apparently. Sounds dreadful - I do still give stuff a listen!

User avatar
Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by Thumpson » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:30 pm

As for the "Under the Influence" break, it's just a straight sample off "Bleep 16" from http://www.discogs.com/Rise-Productions ... ase/407152 ;)
Which in turn seems to be a sample off that Todd Terry record, with added percussion hits..

User avatar
Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by Thumpson » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Sparki wrote:I believe I have a duff copy of Kev Bird's "This Is A Trip" because the bass over takes pretty much everything! I haven't heard a clean version, even when I ripped most of my vinyl to MP3 I still have to take most of the bass off or it sounds like a mess. Forgive me if it was produced like that but Basement prided itself on quality am sure such a thing wouldn't have slipped through the net?.
My original copy (well, at least it appears exactly as http://www.discogs.com/Kev-Bird-This-Is ... ease/73964 ) is exactly like that.. the bass has to be cut by like -10 dB in order to make it as loud as most other tunes

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3037
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by rage » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 pm

That track is insane! Mixed down in a completely different way to every other Basement (and pretty much every other tune for that matter) It lacking a little in treble but not badly so, I love how you have to raise the volume to get it in level with most tracks then the bass comes in on the breakdown and DESTROYS everything in sight.

I wouldn't say its duff, just has its own unique charm. What a storming track that is.

User avatar
oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door
Posts: 6394
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:20 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:20 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:
oldskoolforever wrote:
ian saunders remix wrote: I think that the only reason it's got a new name is to differentiate it from the upfront (and, I'm sorry, rubbish) hardcore being made today by chavvers like Squad-E etc.
Nothing wrong with UK Hardcore, its not for everyone - but the parties are always pumping and the scene is still going strong. BTW, I don't think Squad-E has made anything for quite a while...at least I haven't seen him credited on anything recent. Wasn't he in hospital a couple of years ago ? Could just be one of those UK Hardcore rumours going around though lol.
He's got some new stuff apparently. Sounds dreadful - I do still give stuff a listen!
I did google him today & saw his Twitter is active, so i guess hes back on the scene! Will try and have a listen to the new stuff. Loved Recons track "Sober" this year, there are plenty of good tunes - you just have to wade through the rubbish ones.

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:32 am

rage wrote:That track is insane! Mixed down in a completely different way to every other Basement (and pretty much every other tune for that matter) It lacking a little in treble but not badly so, I love how you have to raise the volume to get it in level with most tracks then the bass comes in on the breakdown and DESTROYS everything in sight.

I wouldn't say its duff, just has its own unique charm. What a storming track that is.
I wouldn't have done it differently but it's possible that there is low frequency stuff that I didn't filter out because the monitors at the time didn't highlight it - or bass was boosted at the cutting stage.

I had very basic kit back then, but my mix formula was identical for everything I worked on.

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:38 am

Thumpson wrote:As for the "Under the Influence" break, it's just a straight sample off "Bleep 16" from http://www.discogs.com/Rise-Productions ... ase/407152 ;)
Which in turn seems to be a sample off that Todd Terry record, with added percussion hits..
Not sure what records Steve brought with him to make that tune, so you may well be right. I'm sure I programmed some 808 drums under the breaks for him though.

User avatar
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Hull

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by eazyflow » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Ron, I was wondering about the later releases on Basement where the label was opened up and we saw releases from Danny Breaks and Photek - How did these releases come about? Were these artists approached by yourselves, or did they approach the label? Either way it seems that there was probably a mutual respect for what each other were doing, in that all artists involved in the label or who had put out releases are artists that I would consider being at the pinnacle in terms of creativity and understanding how to create forward thinking music...

Did you spend much time with these artists and have time to bounce ideas around or gain any insight into their creative processes?

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:13 pm

eazyflow wrote:Ron, I was wondering about the later releases on Basement where the label was opened up and we saw releases from Danny Breaks and Photek - How did these releases come about? Were these artists approached by yourselves, or did they approach the label? Either way it seems that there was probably a mutual respect for what each other were doing, in that all artists involved in the label or who had put out releases are artists that I would consider being at the pinnacle in terms of creativity and understanding how to create forward thinking music...

Did you spend much time with these artists and have time to bounce ideas around or gain any insight into their creative processes?
I didn't work with or meet either of them, I was moving on by then... regular work ceased around BRSS44, with a few bits thrown in after that. I'm pretty sure I did everything from release 4 to 37 and then about another 6 afterwards. It was getting that I couldn't stand the place to be honest.

Since 1997 (gaining experience in founding and running multiple businesses) I can now see that Basement & Vinyl Distribution were extremely badly run, without any strategic business knowledge, it genuinely amazes me how they managed to wing it for as long as they did. I and a few others gave them a ready-made market which they failed to exploit to anywhere near the potential and they eventually failed as a result of that.

For them it was easy come, easy go.

User avatar
dj jedi
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:00 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:50 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:Since 1997 (gaining experience in founding and running multiple businesses) I can now see that Basement & Vinyl Distribution were extremely badly run, without any strategic business knowledge, it genuinely amazes me how they managed to wing it for as long as they did. I and a few others gave them a ready-made market which they failed to exploit to anywhere near the potential and they eventually failed as a result of that.

For them it was easy come, easy go.
I think it's fair to say the same for 99% of labels/producers/DJs/events/record shops etc back then - you may have seen the thread about money where some people seem to think everyone involved in the scene is/was loaded back in the day, as you say I don't think the majority were at all, they were just a bunch of kids in the right place at the right time that didn't make the most of the opportunity they had and probably have nothing to show for it now (see Luna-C's book, "How to Squander Your Potential" :) )

oz
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door
Posts: 5384
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:03 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by oz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:52 pm

So much great info on this thread, wondered if I could ask about the tie up with face records production?

Did you have any involvement with the tracks produced at sound entity like inesse?
Was there any more tie ins with face records or bad influence tunes?

User avatar
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:40 pm

oz wrote:So much great info on this thread, wondered if I could ask about the tie up with face records production?

Did you have any involvement with the tracks produced at sound entity like inesse?
Was there any more tie ins with face records or bad influence tunes?
Don't think I had any personal input on those, that was probably a straight forward studio time hire.

User avatar
retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Concrete Jungle, S.E. England

Re: An answer i had from Jack Smooth..

Post by retrospect » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 am

RonWellsJS wrote:Since 1997 (gaining experience in founding and running multiple businesses) I can now see that Basement & Vinyl Distribution were extremely badly run, without any strategic business knowledge, it genuinely amazes me how they managed to wing it for as long as they did. I and a few others gave them a ready-made market which they failed to exploit to anywhere near the potential and they eventually failed as a result of that.

For them it was easy come, easy go.
So, now you've had time to reflect, what do you think Basement Records should have done differently?

Locked