Questions for Hellfish (Bogwoppa Records)?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Questions for Hellfish (Bogwoppa Records)?

Post by pete.devnull » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Heya guys, I'm going to do an interview w/ Julian Hellfish (Secret Squirrel / Minister So Sinister / Destruction Production / all the other aliases and the glut of tunes on Dance Bass and Bogwoppa) in a day or two.... any questions, post em here...

dwarde78
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Questions for Hellfish (Bogwoppa Records)?

Post by dwarde78 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:20 am

Why did you do your set whilst i was too battered to move out of my chalet at Bangface last weekend :( lol
One of my few regrets of the weekend missing your set
Mad weekend and i hope you had a good one!

Would like to know what are your plans for the future, any new albums in the works, and any UK dates coming up this summer?
Edit* due to the last question about dates being pure laziness, i will look it up! haha

Much respect =]

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 am

dwarde78 wrote:Why did you do your set whilst i was too battered to move out of my chalet at Bangface last weekend :( lol
One of my few regrets of the weekend missing your set
Mad weekend and i hope you had a good one!

Would like to know what are your plans for the future, any new albums in the works, and any UK dates coming up this summer?
Edit* due to the last question about dates being pure laziness, i will look it up! haha

Much respect =]
Yeah, only caught the 1st 10 mins myself for the same reason an he was SICK! Mine would be, any plans to rerelease some of the early deathchant stuff or is he pushing new tunes?

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 am

they put out 3 "anti ebay weapon" repress albums with old tunes on em the past couple of years ;)

and he has a new EP out on his Born Ultraviolent label. him and Bryan Fury have set up a new distribution / shop thing: http://www.audiosickness.net :) (theres clips of it on there).

also if it helps i saw the whole of hellfish's set at the weekender and it was fucking amazing. :D

Aaaaaaanyway, back to oldskool :lol:

How do you feel about your old tracks? Which are your favourites and are there any you cringe at now?

Around the time you released the first Deathchant, when you were still making jungle / hardcore stuff, did you know then that was the direction you'd end up taking?

Which other artists did you take inspiration from back then? And which other hardcore artists did you feel were producing the best stuff?

How did you feel about the way the scene developed from 93 onwards with the split into different styles?

How do you feel about collectors paying huge prices for your old Bogwoppa & Dance Bass releases?

Ric
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 am

What's a Bogwoppa?

AlexWise
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by AlexWise » Fri May 01, 2009 10:02 am

The bass on a lot of SS tunes seems very clear and prominent in the mix compared to other tunes at the time. Was there any conscious technical process you did to achieve this?
Last edited by AlexWise on Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taffster
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by taffster » Fri May 01, 2009 11:37 am

Where'd you get all the inspiration for al the track names, some are very bizarre across many labels.

oz

Post by oz » Fri May 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Was there ever a bogwoppa records #1?

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Fri May 01, 2009 1:36 pm

No questions from me... just a 'big up' for the early Dance Bass releases....

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Fri May 01, 2009 6:51 pm

AlexWise wrote:On Mu-Venom, what is the sample that goes “any any jitter beat” come from? (been bugging me for ages)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF_PlS11RPg

Check out 5:08 on there. I think that's the sample you mean (it says moving to the beat) It's a cut up section of a Freez tune if I remember rightly. The scratchy noise from 2 Bad Mice Waremouse is on there somewhere too.

AlexWise
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by AlexWise » Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 pm

MikeW wrote:
AlexWise wrote:On Mu-Venom, what is the sample that goes “any any jitter beat” come from? (been bugging me for ages)

Check out 5:08 on there. I think that's the sample you mean (it says moving to the beat) It's a cut up section of a Freez tune if I remember rightly. The scratchy noise from 2 Bad Mice Waremouse is on there somewhere too.
ffs, Ive been asking what the ID is for that on this forum for ages, and as soon as I get a chance to ask the person from SS, a forum user tells me the ID in the same post ](*,) :lol: :lol:

Cheers for the ID, Mike, that's one long standing ID down =D>

MikeW

Post by MikeW » Fri May 01, 2009 8:58 pm

AlexWise wrote:
MikeW wrote:

ffs, Ive been asking what the ID is for that on this forum for ages, and as soon as I get a chance to ask the person from SS, a forum user tells me the ID in the same post ](*,) :lol: :lol:

Cheers for the ID, Mike, that's one long standing ID down =D>
No worries, if I'd noticed you asking before I'd have spoken up! And sorry if I spoilt your question for Hellfish.

safe

Post by safe » Sat May 02, 2009 1:01 pm

1) it seemed with a lot of your old tracks like you were having lots of fun using crazy samples, injecting tons of energy and not taking it too seriously. were you really enjoying making the music as much as i think you were?

2) these days you've moved on to a harder sound, which is a natural progression from your bogwoppa/dance bass days. are you ever tempted to do more 140 bpm old skool-sounding tracks like 'commence with the b-line' or 'mu venom', though?

3) is there a reason why you didn't do more drum 'n' bass/jungle?

4) are there any plans to remix any of your classics?

5) i'm definitely more aware of your older work than your newer stuff, so what should someone like me check out?

Heartburn Music
Regular
Regular

Post by Heartburn Music » Sat May 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Did the tracks on the Psycho Sounds EPs ever have names?

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sun May 03, 2009 4:50 pm

What are the most significant changes you've witnessed in the rave scene and music industry since you've been part of it?

Do you have a job outside of music, or is production and DJing a full-time pursuit?