What's the moodiest rave/club you've been too?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
gorfuc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

What's the moodiest rave/club you've been too?

Post by gorfuc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:11 pm

For me it was Dance 91 Picketts lock (Edmonton)

On the way in you have to walk up some stairs and along a path, both sides were just full of moody geezers either offering drugs or just eyeballing you, during the night i was skinning up in the lobby and about 10 geezers smashed the glass recieption doors and just ran into the main room, also in the main room twice i saw a group of guys rush someone and steal all their gear and to top off the night i nearly got into a fight with some geezer because he wanted some money for petrol and i was'nt having any of it.(basically he did'nt need it and was just trying it on)

Anyway apart from all the moodyness it was a top night with Kevin Sauderson in the second room and 2 new yorkers. :)

usol
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: What's the moodiest rave/club you've been too?

Post by usol » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:19 pm

I've seen a few nights kick off (real bad yardie fights etc).

I've been to party in Stevenage that a bloke round the corner from me organised where the police raided and Bukem (I think) got nicked on the decks. People and coppers everywhere.

But I'm sure that there was a big rave that got completely taken over by yardies (was it dance planet?)

gorfuc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by gorfuc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:10 pm

usol wrote:I've seen a few nights kick off (real bad yardie fights etc).

I've been to party in Stevenage that a bloke round the corner from me organised where the police raided and Bukem (I think) got nicked on the decks. People and coppers everywhere.

But I'm sure that there was a big rave that got completely taken over by yardies (was it dance planet?)
Don't know if it's the same one but i went to a rave in stevenage that got raided in 1990, i remeber we drove in a convoy for 4 hours before getting there and i only live 40 mins away :) anyway we drove 4 hours and i was only in there about 20 mins lol, thing is i was at a rave the weekend before that also got raided (i lasted an hour in there that time) not the best weekends ever. i do remember at this stevenage rave it was held on an industrial estate and there was this massive hole in the car park and some guy drove his car into it :) i should'nt laugh but it was a sight seeing half a car sticking up out of the ground lol.

djhaze
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by djhaze » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:20 pm

moodiest rave : vision, return of the wharehouse concept part 2. april 93.

yardieville! having it moved from swindon up to the sanctuary at the last minute didn't help. the hoardes of bwadwoys that stormed in thru the fire exits only added to it. have a good chuckle about it these days though.

moodiest clubnight : some friday night at the brunel rooms in swindon in 96 at some point.

not long met my (now) wife and we'd gone down for a friday night out on the spur of the moment. wouldn't let us in the housey bit as my addidas gazelles weren't, and i quote, "old skool enough"!! let us in the dnb bit though and the atmos was downright hostile. the the wife managed to trip and fall down some steps at one point and we thought we were gonna get lynched!!

never forget those nights :D

phase
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by phase » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:40 pm

I am sure it was called bat dance, i remember giving 20 quid to get in and waiting for my change only to be told to fuck off!!!
We all went to exodus after it got raided, should of gone to luton in the first place:):)
that and the bass box was about as moody as it got for me.....

djhaze
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by djhaze » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 pm

man, bass box in brixton! i'd forgotten about that place! yeah, that was proper scary.

didn't rat pack have some involvement with that place?

usol
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by usol » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:56 am

djhaze wrote:moodiest rave : vision, return of the wharehouse concept part 2. april 93.

yardieville! having it moved from swindon up to the sanctuary at the last minute didn't help. the hoardes of bwadwoys that stormed in thru the fire exits only added to it. have a good chuckle about it these days though.
That was the one I was thinking of!

usol
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by usol » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:08 am

phase wrote:

I am sure it was called bat dance, i remember giving 20 quid to get in and waiting for my change only to be told to fuck off!!!
We all went to exodus after it got raided, should of gone to luton in the first place:):)
that and the bass box was about as moody as it got for me.....
Yep, that was the one. The guys who put it on had previously done a party called "resurrection" and actually had a good line up. The party was in a warehouse on Gunnelswood Road in Stevenage and they were obviously spooked. They basically had to take as much money as possible before the party either got stopped or they got nicked so they could pay some expenses (The sound and light was on two hired trucks in the venue). I don't think they planned for so much police presence, the police were overkill IMHO and the police ended up shutting off half of stevenage and even at one point closing part of the A1(M). The organisers took as much money as possible (no time for pissing about with "change" or other niceities) before the police presence and crowd volume caused the doors to just be flung open making it a freeby. (I think windows got put in too). I remember me and my mates talking with Food Junky up in the warehouse office just before it got raided, and I also heard that Swan E turned up, saw the party and then turned on his heels and left.
The main organisers (I beleive) legged it towards the A1(M) with rolls of £20 notes stuffed down their trousers leaving all of the (hired) sound and light in situ.

Markymark
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Markymark » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:28 pm

moodiest place i went to was a night called steam in Ryhl (wales).

walked in there and instantly felt uneasy. it felt like the whole club was staring at us, we got talking to some lads how you do. things went downhill pretty sharpish when they realized we were english. you could just tell something was going to happen. i said to my mate 'come on, lets get the fuck out of here now'! we got into our car and noticed those same lads coming out following us :roll: we were in a 1.3 nova, cant remember what they were driving but the cunts soon caught us up, pulling up to the side of the car and trying to cut in front of us. :wanker: were were jumping lights constantly to get away. pricks were waving one of those aluminium baseball bats out of the window :wanker:

this went on for at least 3/4's of the way home (about 45 miles)! no mobiles to call for help back then, ive never shit myself so much. i was a hot headed little bastard back then and didnt usually shy away from stuff like this, but when your loved up to the eye ballls that goes out the window. when we finally got back to stoke me and the driver both had a panic attack and convinced ourselves we were about to die :lol: what a night

also jumped into a car with some lads after kinetic one night as we needed a lift down to this lake everyone used to go to after. then one pulls a gun out on someone on the car park. my mate had seen him loading the gun as he walked up to the car to ask for a lift and froze..........then decided to still ask for the lift :roll: :lol: he never told me this as i jumped into the car. the driver then starts going down on a bong whilst doing 80 mph down the road, lol. couldnt wait to get out of that car

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Lazerdrome in London,some Jungle nite, all these so called "bad bwoys" standing around eyeballing each other, i liked Jungle but didn't like the atmosphere at Jungle Raves so just didn't go,also in Dublin when the Olympic Ballroom reopened in 1999 it just wasn't the same as the legendary place it was in the early 1990's and you had gangs of lads from different areas kicking off trying to control the sale of drugs in the place,didn't go again after that nite and it soon closed again after numerous fights.

Adam Timeless
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Adam Timeless » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Been quite lucky in the sense that I have never experienced any trouble first hand. Moodiest places were prob some Jungle/ D&B nights like Jonny mentioned you got people standing around screwfacing and fights breaking out. Been to The Dungeons, which the first time I was in felt quite nervous and edgy due to some shady looking people in there/ tense atmosphere. This was a Ruud FM night a few years back. Also been to a few Free parties that have been quite clicky and outsiders not made welcome (see worst place to DJ post) and seen a few fights at these as well!

tricky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by tricky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 pm

telepathy at the sobel centre 91? rude boys mugging people in the queue, then people getting held up with knifes inside for there drugs and money, me dancing on a good e not noticing any of it for about a hour or so then noticing some of my mates sitting against the wall with a bunch of 'new friends' with there hands in there pockets and a knife in the side, came down very quickly!

gorfuc
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by gorfuc » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm

tricky wrote:telepathy at the sobel centre 91? rude boys mugging people in the queue, then people getting held up with knifes inside for there drugs and money, me dancing on a good e not noticing any of it for about a hour or so then noticing some of my mates sitting against the wall with a bunch of 'new friends' with there hands in there pockets and a knife in the side, came down very quickly!
I bet you did mate, nice people eh.

Euphoria
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Euphoria » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:50 am

Gotta be Desert Storm in 94 at the Roller...moody as fuck, shite tunes and proper scary cos I dropped some acid before going in :(

Getting the bus to Labrynth bitd was also moody as fuck cos the muggers all knew we were going to the happiest club in Hackney, although we were more tooled up than them ;)

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 am

Been to a few london squat parties that were supposed to be propper moody. Thing is i didn't notice at all. Went to one and spent the whole time wonderin round, completely off me face, just havin a good time. Remember gettin called 80s man a lot, cos I was wearin me smiley T-shirt, but that was it. Found out later, loads of people were apparently gettin mugged in the corners and locked in cupboards and stuff. Didn't see any of it though. :lol: