WHY CANT HAPPY HARDCORE SHITE BE PUT IN ITS....

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door

Re: WHY CANT HAPPY HARDCORE SHITE BE PUT IN ITS....

Post by oldskoolforever » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:08 pm

captinweestain wrote:This is what id say happy hardcore is http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p6uFsS7mE ... re=related
erghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
yeah that was happy hardcore at its peak in 98 when Bang were releasing tunes like "shooting star", "break of dawn", "sailaway" and the classic "cloudy daze". Not sure what happened to them, but unfortunately it all tailed off at the start of 99 and there was a big lull for several years until the new Raverbaby styled trance hardcore (now known as UK hardcore).

otbiz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by otbiz » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:39 pm

Mero wrote:When searching on Ebay just type in the specific artists that your looking for innit :)
Or, just put in a minus before the stuff you don't want to see, eg:

hardcore -happy -hixxy -sharkey -gabba

etc etc etc you get the idea.

swipezster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by swipezster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 am

IMO I reckon Happy Hardcore mutated from the people who liked the jungle but who weren't too keen on the darkness (note my other thread Did Darkness darken the atmosphere?). Personally, I HATE UK hardcore, as I'm not a fan of 4-beat and have always loved the rhythm of a breakbeat... to me it just seems to easy to bang out a UK hardcore track.
Forgive me, but ain't they all a stompy 4 beat, the same synths, and some woman who clearly cannot sing re-hashing an 80s tune? Mind you, I see some of the partygoers on youtube and those God-awful TV ads for the latest album and seem to thoroughly enjoy themselves.

I stopped buying hardcore in about '98 when Pilgrim said that he was ashamed to have associated with that scene and was trying to sell off his HH for 50 pence a pop! They didn't sell btw, although I did buy 'Toytown off him as I liked the chopped up breakbeat before the stomps came in - I used to mix that back in and out to add a bit more variance to my jungle sets

I also love 'Journey' by Sunset Regime, as it had a kinda dark edge to it, if you know what I mean?

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Elusive wrote: When happy hardcore lost its breakbeats it ceased to be hardcore, its more like trance or hardhouse these days
just having the odd rave stab & hoover doesn't make a tune hardcore....IMO ;)
you see i could never put it into hardhouse bracket as UK Hardcore is 175 BPM approx, there is a large trance element to many of the tracks whilst also keeping vocals in there. I guess you could say "Happy stomping trance", but because happy hardcore was the name that people like Slipmatt, Dougal called it BITD, it just mutated from there really. IMO, it is still a form of hardcore as its developed from that kind of background and some producers do still use breakbeats in there tunes like Sy & Unknown, Gammer etc. Its true that 80% of it is very 4 to the floor kick drum/bass driven. Probably a few more breakbeaty tunes would help in the scene. Perhaps i'll have a go at that once i've put my gear together, lol.

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:14 am

Elusive wrote:Happy/nu hardcore does make me laugh though

I was at HOH & Vibes came on, and he played this really fast version of no doubt's don't speak, with a kick drum over it....it was just awful :gay:
Vibes caught my eye & i had to hold my nose & do the cheesey wafting motion....even he laughed :lol: :lol:

I do feel embarrassed when i see anyone over 19 playing stuff like that, let alone a man in his 40's....but they've got to make a living i guess

Its like judge jules playing trance on radio one & at gigs, i don't truly believe he likes it, as he's a soulboy at heart

When happy hardcore lost its breakbeats it ceased to be hardcore, its more like trance or hardhouse these days
Lol good comment.

I used to listen to Judge Jules on Kiss, when they went legal mind you. He was playing house type tunes then, but I agree, what he plays now doesn't seem to represent what he was about back then

A bit like Dave Pearce, he used to host a show called Fresh Start To The Week on Radio London back in the day, playing all hip hop & stuff back in 1986/87. What on earth is he doing now with his Trance house and stuff???! :lol:

teknotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by teknotik » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:25 am

Ornette wrote:

I was at HOH & Vibes came on, and he played this really fast version of no doubt's don't speak, with a kick drum over it....it was just awful :gay:
Vibes caught my eye & i had to hold my nose & do the cheesey wafting motion....even he laughed :lol: :lol:

I do feel embarrassed when i see anyone over 19 playing stuff like that, let alone a man in his 40's....but they've got to make a living i guess

Its like judge jules playing trance on radio one & at gigs, i don't truly believe he likes it, as he's a soulboy at heart

When happy hardcore lost its breakbeats it ceased to be hardcore, its more like trance or hardhouse these days
Lol good comment.

I used to listen to Judge Jules on Kiss, when they went legal mind you. He was playing house type tunes then, but I agree, what he plays now doesn't seem to represent what he was about back then

A bit like Dave Pearce, he used to host a show called Fresh Start To The Week on Radio London back in the day, playing all hip hop & stuff back in 1986/87. What on earth is he doing now with his Trance house and stuff???! :lol:
People's tastes do change though.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:54 am

True, people's tastes can change, but it does seem a bit strange when you have 40-somethings playing eurodance-esque tunes with vocals about love and rainbows and the like, even more so when the people they're playing to are around 16 themselves. If they were on the dancefloor rather than behind the decks they would get abuse from all angles. I find it hard to believe that the likes of Vibes, Breeze, Brisk etc genuinely love what they're playing rather than continue to do it because it keeps the money coming in. There again if it's the choice between getting a few hundred quid per gig doing that, and doing a 9-5 for the rest of your life, maybe they've got the right idea...

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

wow, this was a really interesting thread for me, Sy and Unknown are still going!! Vibes and Brisk are still Djing? I'm such an old codger nowadays i didnt know anyone still used the term hardcore for a genre of dance music, last time i listened to any hardcore was in 1994. I'm pleased kids are still out there raving - i take it that the style of music they're dancing to wont make a 30 something breakbeat fiend happy though?

squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by squatski » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

Sir Captinweestain
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Sir Captinweestain » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:39 pm

/\ Fuckin' hell
puke ville tenneassey

Same fucking beat for every track hahaha

That really is garbage

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote:True, people's tastes can change, but it does seem a bit strange when you have 40-somethings playing eurodance-esque tunes with vocals about love and rainbows and the like, even more so when the people they're playing to are around 16 themselves. If they were on the dancefloor rather than behind the decks they would get abuse from all angles. I find it hard to believe that the likes of Vibes, Breeze, Brisk etc genuinely love what they're playing rather than continue to do it because it keeps the money coming in. There again if it's the choice between getting a few hundred quid per gig doing that, and doing a 9-5 for the rest of your life, maybe they've got the right idea...
more than that though, if you're a big name in a scene like hardcore and it's your livelihoood (label, djing etc) - and the scene takes a direction you don't like, well you either have to go with it or get a new job! even talented people would still pretty much be starting from scratch if they move to a different style. you kinda have to go with the flow and push your own ideas gently without being too different from the norm...shame, really.

crugga
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by crugga » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Ornette wrote:

I bet they'd even admit its for the money. Doc Scott for example, if you heard him play out 4 years ago he was crap, playing all the cheesey tunes of the day which was never what he was about, was allways known for pushing boundaries and playing moody music. Then there was an interview where he said he was sick of playing stuff he didnt like just to get bookings and from then on would play what he wanted, heard him late last year and he blew me away and you could tell he was really feeling it. Guess its whether you wanna follow or lead and he for 1 was allways a leader.

Back on subject of hardcore, not going to slag it off but it certainly to me appears more like hard house and trance than hardcore and think it needs its own section.

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 am

Traffic Cone wrote: more than that though, if you're a big name in a scene like hardcore and it's your livelihoood (label, djing etc) - and the scene takes a direction you don't like, well you either have to go with it or get a new job! even talented people would still pretty much be starting from scratch if they move to a different style. you kinda have to go with the flow and push your own ideas gently without being too different from the norm...shame, really.
exactly, hence why the likes of Breeze, Styles, Hixxy, Sy have stuck with it as its paying their bills at the end of the day.

stretchyd
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stretchyd » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:47 am

I quite like the 3 tunes below, but I have not been 'raving' since 1996 and that was the first Cocoon event (which was shite!) so my tastes are still 'Old Skool'.

The tunes below, except for the 3 track, are very 'Hard House' like, which I turned too mid '96 until 2001, then I went back to listening and playing '92 to '95.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EF1NN54juyw
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJxe8fAbDA
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3rTP8felUzY

I think it is unfair to slag this genre off just because we are not big fans, as many young people out in the world love it!

Below is what I love:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tGYA4gn-B ... re=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cNPdmJjTA
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAOLyw3jP8
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rVXEEk0Kk ... re=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gIkVoKrbf ... re=related

*Edited due to my stupitity!

J3D

Post by J3D » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:25 am

Still non of them 3 tracks are Happy Hardcore
There "UK Hardcore" and are well past the year 2001 !

So i dont get your point.