so was it late '94 you lost interest in 'hardcore'

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Double Drop
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: so was it late '94 you lost interest in 'hardcore'

Post by Double Drop » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Elusive wrote:
Double Drop wrote:After '93 I don't think hardcore even existed, just this parody of what real rave had been, unimaginative kick drums, piano and chipmonks. That doesn't even deserve to be called hardcore, didn't then and certainly doesn't now.

If you can't think of a name for your genre of music please don't steal the name of a previous genre that you don't even deserve to lick the boots of
I always thought this, even though happy hardcore is still going strong today, i wished they had renamed it
if anyone asks me what i'm into and i say hardcore, i get the look of "you like happy hardcore??!!"
even though i like the deeper side of hardcore that was around for only a few years between 91-94

its exactly the same as garage, i like the deep USA stuff from 93-97,
and then UK garage came along & raped the garage name and gave that a really bad rude boy reputation
So you get that look again when you say your into garage :rant: :rant:

Theres still some very good hardcore about in 93/94, if you do alot of digging past the many many dark amen tunes that came out at that time

I was forced to go to rhythm station in 1995 when 4 beat was massive, it was like hell going through that night :lol:
it just sounded like they had tunes like kariya baby let me love you for tonight on the wrong speed, with no breakbeats at all!
I went to the Rhythm Station at about the same time but it was a Jungle night, attitude city. Put me right off, that and the fact that every second tune was The Arsonist.

Parsnip! Me got me parsnip! bibidi-ibidi-ibidi-ibidi-ibidibibididee!

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Yep - by the end of 94 i'd pretty much had my fill, although I could get into DnB if i was at a rave: Last one i went to was either World Dance at Xmas 1994 or something at the Roller Express shortly afterwards. I was put off going to DnB events after a gun(!) was pulled further up the queue at Jungle Mania at the Astoria! Nice. I'd probably play Happy Hardcore made in 1994, but nothing later than that, as i don't understand it!!!! :-k

I frequented Oscars in Clacton pretty much up until 1996 i think, but pretty much stayed out of the DnB / Happy Hardcore room, and got hammered in the House room........

I think the last tunes i bought were Foul Play Vol.4 and an EZ Rollers tune. After that i gave up...........and spent my cash on getting wasted in House clubs!

garrybynon
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by garrybynon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 pm

as soon as i heard toytown i knew that was enough for me,
started listening to producer and scorpio tapes after that

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:43 pm

garrybynon wrote:as soon as i heard toytown i knew that was enough for me,
So glad I'm not alone on this one. Even at the tender age of 16, toytown was all a bit much.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:30 pm

garrybynon wrote:as soon as i heard toytown i knew that was enough for me,
too right mate!

nomad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:48 am

Nope it was the time I got into jungle, but discovered hardcore soon after.

J3D
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by J3D » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 am

i loved 95 but then again i like pianos so figures lol !

stts
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stts » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 am

So many defernitions of the word Hardcore, To me proper oldschool Hardcore was before girlie vocals and pianos were thrown in around the late 80's / early 90's [-X

Hardcore became a commercial word which lots of people adopted thIS word because they were Plastic ravers, new to the scene , Misinterpreted or didnt quite understand the true meaning it was originally used.

The original Hardcore word originated from the Hardcore punk era.

True underground Hardcore punk artists were banging out hard, full on, controversial, evil, kickin tunes which didnt have girlie vocals or pianos ( Unless they were taking the piss =D> )

Everyones got there own interpritation of the word Hardcore , Its amazes me how the word has leached on to so many various styles over the years :lol:

My 2 cents.......

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:08 am

end of 1995 i stopped going to events and buying tapepacks etc.
until the old skool revival
its each to their own
we all like our own things
personally i loved the 95 (first half of 95 anyway) scene when dreamscape etc. used to have an arena with happy hardcore jungle and techno djs all on the same bill
a bit of happy from slipmatt then some amens from randall
but if you asked where id rather be-in a "happy rave" or a "moody jungle" event id choos the happy one anyday. :)

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 am

stts wrote:So many defernitions of the word Hardcore, To me proper oldschool Hardcore was before girlie vocals and pianos were thrown in around the late 80's / early 90's [-X

Hardcore became a commercial word which lots of people adopted thIS word because they were Plastic ravers, new to the scene , Misinterpreted or didnt quite understand the true meaning it was originally used.

The original Hardcore word originated from the Hardcore punk era.

True underground Hardcore punk artists were banging out hard, full on, controversial, evil, kickin tunes which didnt have girlie vocals or pianos ( Unless they were taking the piss =D> )

Everyones got there own interpritation of the word Hardcore , Its amazes me how the word has leached on to so many various styles over the years :lol:

My 2 cents.......

So what's punk got to do with what we were dancing to in 91/92, other than share the same name? :? Are you saying that breakbeat rave music should NEVER have been called 'hardcore'?

I love hardcore. But couldn't give a flying fuck about a few spotty H-addicted, guitar strumming youths in New York :lol:

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:39 am

hardcore just means extreme, though. to me it just means a certain attitude of straight-to-the-point, full-on music. which is why it can refer to punk, breakbeat rave music, mental gabba...and yes, happy hardcore is hardcore to me as well. it is extreme music - it's just extremely cheesy, that's all :lol: it still has all the lack of subtlety, focus on energy, and all the other things that are true for other forms of hardcore. it's just focussed in a different direction.

as for the topic, i can't really answer cos i got into hardcore in 96. as in happy hardcore. but these days, late 94 is in many ways the point in which i lose interest. i don't really have much interest in 95 onwards happy these days. believe it or not, i am losing my love for happy hardcore! nearly all the happy hardcore i love is 94, when it still had some spark and wasn't all quite as formulaic. same with jungle - there's some d&b i like but it's a lot later.

so i'd echo those who say techno - i reckon if i'd been there at the time, it'd be where i'd have gone. it's the best of both worlds - the music's great, and the atmosphere in techno / hardcore techno nights is good. and there's hardcore techno i love all the way from 91 to 2007. which isn't true for anything else, really.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Yeah, at the time I found that the vibe and attitude in techno rooms to be closer to the vibe in 91/92 compared to d'n'b/jungle.

stts
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stts » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Beagle wrote:So what's punk got to do with what we were dancing to in 91/92, other than share the same name? :?
Its what the word Hardcore stood for and the vibe / scene it created
Beagle wrote: Are you saying that breakbeat rave music should NEVER have been called 'hardcore'?
No im not saying that unless it had Girlie vocals or piano's within, An example of a proper early rave breakbeat hardcore tune that springs to mind is in 1990 Break the Limits on Break The Limits =D> ( Thats what true hardcore was all about until untold other styles emerged from the back bone of this and as more and more people came into the scene )

Each to there own weve all had our own experiences within the music scene, Youll always find people who love Girlie vocals / Piano's or dislike Girlie vocals / Piano's for me its the later ;)

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Beagle wrote:Yeah, at the time I found that the vibe and attitude in techno rooms to be closer to the vibe in 91/92 compared to d'n'b/jungle.
it's particularly true today...at modern raves like Uproar, the techno room always has the best atmosphere by miles. It seems to convert quite a few people to it, which is all good :D

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 am

smeagol wrote:personally i loved the 95 (first half of 95 anyway) scene when dreamscape etc. used to have an arena with happy hardcore jungle and techno djs all on the same bill a bit of happy from slipmatt then some amens from randall
That was one of things that bothered me, a couple of years earlier you'd have heard both DJs playing a varied cross section of everything rather than having an hour of happy happy joy joy and then an hour of dark 'n' moody/jump-up, it broke up the flow of the night quite a lot for me. But, to be fair, it wasn't necessarily the DJs, it was the retreat of both styles of music from each other that really caused it, for whatever reason.