so was it late '94 you lost interest in 'hardcore'

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

so was it late '94 you lost interest in 'hardcore'

Post by squatski » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 am

this is for the ones who where there back in the day. it could be my ears but the tracks seem too lose creativy and imagination by the end of '94.

Adam Timeless
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Re: so was it late '94 you lost interest in 'hardcore'

Post by Adam Timeless » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:19 am

not me! i liked both d&b and the happy stuff till around 97 - the happy stuff went cheesy, and the jump up wasn't really enough for me - i still liked a bit of what was coming out - like with d&b was really into metalheadz etc and still went to the mixed raves, although got into other styles like the UK Garage and then later breakbeat etc. although 97 was when the "revival" first kicked off so I just got into that.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 am

I think it went progressively downhill during '94, a lot of different things were happening, and as Elusive says, the split between hardcore & jungle really started to show as the year went on, going to World Dance was like going to two different events in one, when Sy came on, most of the junglists left and the ravers went in, when Mickey Finn came on, it was vice versa. Quite strange when you think about it! Don't get me wrong, there was some great stuff released that year and also later, but things were changing, '94 was the first time I heard Gabba too, which made jungle/hardcore seem tame, which was an eye opener for me, not that I got into Gabba, but it definitely demolished some long held notions.

ceedee1
Regular
Regular

Post by ceedee1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:30 am

unfortunately i didnt get to attend any events back in 1994 as i was only 14/15 and looked far to young to get in :(

but for me this was my favourite year musically as i really loved the early happy stuff,especially as they were still using breakbeats, and i also liked the bouncy stuff carl cox was playing,all the music just seemed to have so much energy (although admitedly it was cheesy).

dont get me wrong though i loved the 91/92 music,just that i enjoyed the hardcore of the mids 90's more,with the tempo bein slightly quicker (around 160ish bpm) and better to dance to imo.but it began to go downhill after 95 :cry:

im sure many will disagree but like i say i didnt get to go raving then i was just a bedroom raver ;)

deeman72
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deeman72 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:12 am

for me like almost everyone the best daze were up until the end of 93 when drum n bass/ jungle and happy hardcore began to mainstream. although i did enjoy both genres until the end of 1995 when i felt it took a turn for the 'worse'. with jungle becoming too 'dark' and happy hardcore sounding 'techno like'. for me it was house then and then hard house at the end of 98 early 99 :)

gaffer
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by gaffer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:42 am

I think your spot on HMM, I kept raving until '96 mainly at the bigger events like World Dance & Dreamscape, I carried on buying hardcore and Jungle in equal measure but I was kidding myself really. When I look at my record collection now I've only kept a handful of tunes from 94 onwards the rest I have sold off. Like most other people I started buying house around '95 and slowly got into that scene instead.
I've still got my old mid-nineties house tunes in the loft I need to get them down and go through them one day :)

slinker^
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by slinker^ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:59 am

Spot on pretty much for me too, i stopped listening to hardcore around end of 94 when Hallucinogens LSD entered my brain, from then on it was Psytrance / Techno and Hardtrance for me...Alot of the german acid trance was awesome around the 94 - 96 era so im glad i didnt miss much of that. Went to a rave around 97 and touched the hardcore room, soon left as it was the most stupid sounding chip monk sampling / almost sounding like Gabba for 13 year old girls, after that the Techno room was a welcome retreat. I must have stayed listening to Trance and Techno until about 2004 when i got quite into some drum and bass and then decided to go back to the Oldskool roots and from there i havent really moved much...im just stuck in the 90 - 95 era and well happy with it.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:02 am

agreed i stopped listening/buying happy hardcore when the breakbeat dissapeared and just became strompy cheesy euro pop in about 1995/1996.
still liked jungle and drum and bass but progressively went back to old skool hardcore by 1997

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:16 am

Start of 94 was when I stopped buying tunes. Found all the tunes very samey and dull compared to the previous few years.

Beagle
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Beagle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 am

For me, hardcore got boring during '93, and with the exception of the-odd hardcore or d'n'b track, I was a techno-head really, from then onwards.

motionabsolute
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by motionabsolute » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:26 am

yeah, I lost interest in it all around 94, I loved the vibe of the music coming out 91,92 and 93, was still listening to it 94, although not happy hardcore, but towards the end of 94 I was rapidly loosing interest, in 95 I was sort of in limbo and not really getting into anything that was coming out, and in 96 I started getting into house music. and some breakbeat stuff that was starting to appear.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am

by 94 i was defo into the jungle/d'n'b sound - i hated ,for me, the cheesy happy hardcore. Although i don't go out much now i still listen to d'n'b now -- there is still some top stuff being produced.

ske
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ske » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:47 am

Yep 94 was definetly the spiral staircase going downward for me and the now called old skool scene,
Music had lost its imagination, it had become to similar and the clubs moody!, i had started collecting the odd house & garage as well as hardcore in 93 but started going out to house do's in 94, plus thats where all the women were at :D

still into house now, and promote my own nights and never really had anything to do with hardcore till i found a few tunes back in soulseek around 2003, and then this place a few years back, can't say i've been to an oldskool hardcore event since 94, but i do support the scene's music old and new stuff and me and a few partners were discussing maybe looking into an oldskool night or atleast incorporating a room for it in a future venue. Sadly 94 stuff will not be played :D

Kid_Retro
Regular
Regular

Post by Kid_Retro » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 am

I was a late starter in the scene as i was only 11/12 when it all started, i briefly listened to hardcore in 92 when i found a "Raven 3" tape that my sister had, then i moved onto hip hop before discovering the happy hardcore scence at the end of 94, i liked alot of stuff that was produced up until about 96 where it all got to stompy & cheesy, switched to D & B until about 99, and went back to listening to hip hop. 2001 was when i really got into hardcore, buying old 12"s etc. I havent lost an interest yet as im still discovering quality new tunes on a daily basis and alot of it is down to this site alone so thanks people. :)

champion puffa

Post by champion puffa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 am

for me....

i followed the flow of the raves and moved into the dnb / jungle scene in 93/4 when tune like Weekend Rush PT3, Pure Darkness EP, Rhythm, hello darkness, shot in the dark etc came out and moved with the dnb jungle and into the dnb scene.
But also i was a very very big lover of happy hardcore by 95...i loved the fast beats and constant rushes, hands in the air, it bought back the original hardcore vibes for me after spending all the time in moody dnb rooms.
Club UN is a prime example, id go to dnb events there and sneak to the upstairs happy hardcore room on my own and rush my nuts off to hapy hardcore.

Then old skool ardcore started getting played at events again, i was bang in there, and though it was always wikid hearing the tunes i loved again, it never felt the same, i spose its cos i had heard them before, they wernt new tunes that i was hearing for the 1st time, and imo...most people felt like that as the vibes just wernt the same.

It was only really a couple of years ago now i spose i started to lose a bit of interest in old skool hardcore, as strongforce says its always the same old tunes all the time.

I always love hearing a propa old skool hardcore set and always will but for me hardcore died years ago and its all about the future and fresh new sounds to keep the scene alive.